Is It a Sinus Headache?Or Something Else?
We?ve all had that achy pain in forehead, cheekbones and bridge of the nose, but what exactly is it? If it?s accompanied by a runny nose, facial swelling, or fullness in the ears, it?s most likely a sinus headache.
Diagnosing a Sinus Headache
Because sinus headaches and migraines often occur around the same time, it can be difficult to diagnose them. The first step in diagnosing sinus headaches is to control your sinus symptoms, which usually include:
- Nasal discharge
- Pain in the teeth
- And discolored nasal discharge
After controlling the sinus problems, some patients notice their headaches diminish. However, if your headaches continue or worsen, it?s a good idea to consult a neurologist or TMJ specialist. There is no specific test for diagnosing sinus headaches, but patience and reviewing all possible options will narrow the results down to the correct diagnosis.
Treating Sinus Headaches
Your doctor might suggest a variety of treatments to treat sinus problems and sinus headaches, including:
- Decongestants ? Decongestants can be purchased over-the-counter. They help open blocked sinus cavities, reduce swelling, and reduce your congestion.
- Nasal Steroid Sprays ? In some cases, your doctor may prescribe these sprays and other drugs to reduce your congestion and pain.
- Humidifier or Vaporizer ? Dry air can irritate the sinuses, so using a humidifier or vaporizer can help alleviate the irritation.
- Balloon Sinuplasty ? Patients who have pain due to swelling of the nose or blocked sinuses usually find relief from their symptoms with Balloon Sinus Surgery.
Sinus Headache Treatment in Des Moines, IA
For relief from sinus headaches, contact the ENT specialists at Iowa Head and Neck Clinic. Our highly-trained physicians will give you the attention and tests needed to diagnose and treat sinus headaches.